USF falls to N.C. State

Corey Allen Jr. took over down the stretch, scoring the Bulls’ final seven points in a 68-65 loss. ORACLE FILE PHOTO/ADAM MATHIEU

With 2.6 seconds remaining and USF trailing 68-65 at N.C. State (4-0), junior forward Nehemias Morillo checked the ball in to senior guard Corey Allen Jr. at half court. 

Allen took the inbounds pass, dribbled a few feet closer to the basket and launched a long 3-pointer that clanked off the rim as time expired. 

The men’s basketball team was unable to pull away from the Wolfpack, but kept the game close until the final shot due to the play of Allen down the final stretch of the game. 

As USF (3-1) continued to foul N.C. State to stop the clock, Allen hit shots for the Bulls to keep the game within reach. 

The senior scored the Bulls’ last seven points of the game and finished with 14 points on 6-of-10 shooting. 

The Bulls struggled with fouls throughout the game, committing nine more fouls than the Wolfpack. These fouls resulted in 30 free throw attempts by N.C. State, 17 more than the Bulls had.  

Sophomore forward Chris Perry fouled out of the game with 1:15 remaining and guards Anthony Collins and Allen were both one away from fouling out as well. 

In the first half, freshman guard Troy Holston Jr. dove for a floater, but twisted his ankle as he came down after making the shot. He had to be helped off the floor by coach Orlando Antigua and a trainer and did not return to the game. 

Forward Ruben Guerrero missed his fourth consecutive game with an injury despite traveling with the team.

USF returns to the Sun Dome to host Hofstra on Tuesday at 7 p.m.