Mfeka looks to keep scoring against Denver

Lindo Mfeka scored three goals last week and was named AAC Offensive Player of the Week. ORACLE FILE PHOTO/ADAM MATHIEU

After scoring three goals in the past two games, sophomore midfielder Lindo Mfeka looks to play a vital role as the Bulls return to Corbett Stadium to face the Denver Pioneers (7-4-1) tonight.

Mfeka scored his first goal in last Wednesday’s 4-3 loss to Tulsa and he scored two more goals on Saturday night against the Cincinnati Bearcats.

“He’s been playing the same way since the season started, but now he’s finding the back of the net and I’m sure that the goals will keep coming,” senior midfielder Gerardo Hernandez said.  

Mfeka was honored for his goals by being named the AAC Offensive Player of the Week last week.

Though Mfeka has only two assists this year, the sophomore has been contributing to the team in ways that can’t be seen on a stat sheet, such as creating space on the field and giving vital passes to create plays or counterattacks.

“He’s been a great guy since he arrived on the team,” senior midfielder Lucas Baldin said. “So for him to be able to get on the score sheet, that’s huge for him. Before, when he wasn’t getting goals, he was helping us out a lot. He was very important for this team and it’s great to play with him.”

Although the Pioneers are 0-3-1 on away games, they are coming off a 1-0 home win against the UIC Flames.

“For us, the team we’re playing doesn’t matter,” Baldin said. “It’s always about our focus and to always be able to do our thing. We need to use our strengths and to go out there and play as a unit.”

USF (7-4-0) will host Denver tonight at 7:30 in Corbett Stadium.