USF wins fourth straight to start the year

The Bulls capitalized on extra-base hits and defensive errors in a 5-1 win over Florida Gulf Coast on Tuesday.

USF (4-0) singled 34 times in its first three games, doubled five times and homered once.

Junior shortstop Kyle Teaf led off the game with a triple and was able to cash in when sophomore left fielder Luke Maglich, who was named to the American Athletic Conference Weekly Honor Roll along with sophomore pitcher Jimmy Herget, grounded into a double play.

On the mound for USF was senior pitcher Janick Serrallonga, who allowed one unearned run in five innings. That lone run came in the second when sophomore first baseman Nick Rivera scored on a throwing error after being walked.

The game was tied at one until the fifth inning when redshirt sophomore second baseman Nik Alfonso scored on a Gulf Coast throwing error.

In the sixth inning, USF junior center fielder Michael Arencibia tripled to the right field wall, scoring junior first baseman Buddy Putnam. Arencibia came home after a throwing error by the catcher, putting the Bulls up 4-1.

Alfonso reached base in every plate appearance. He was hit by a pitch his first two at-bats and then walked in the seventh. He singled in the fifth and added an insurance run with an RBI double in the ninth.

USF faced seven Gulf Coast pitchers, but handed junior Andris Gonzalez his first loss, as he allowed two hits and a run in 2/3 of an inning.

Both teams were offensively charged going into the matchup. Gulf Coast (3-1) averaged 5.75 runs against Rhode Island over the weekend, and USF outhit its opponents 40-20. Only six were extra-base hits, but USF took advantage of a pair of triples in the contest.

“This was another great win, especially being on the road,” USF coach Lelo Prado said. “(Serrallonga) pitched great followed by Farley, Strittmatter and Pardo. We played with great enthusiasm and when we do that, we are a good team. I can’t wait to finally play at home Friday night.”

The Bulls will try to keep their bats hot as they face Penn State for their first home game. The three-game series is scheduled to start Friday at 7 p.m.