The Oracle’s guide to new fall TV lineup

After a summer of repeats, fall TV is finally approaching.  

Starting next week, TV viewers should prepare themselves for a season of brand new TV, as more than 55 new TV shows are hitting the air.  

Though fall TV is usually an exciting time to tune in and
continue with already beloved sagas, there are a few shows that stand out above the rest this season. 

The Oracle has weeded through the vast options and has selected shows that are sure to entertain and have staying power through the years.

“Marvel’s Agents 

of S.H.I.E.L.D.” 

(ABC) 

Tuesdays at 8 p.m. 

Beginning Sept. 24 

Chasing the heels of the popular Marvel film franchise, “The Avengers,” the show follows the agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. in a search for new superheroes to join the superhero squad and solve  mysterious occurrences. Written and directed by Joss Whedon (The Avengers), “Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.” promises to be full of action-packed scenes and special effects reminiscent of the Hollywood franchise. Clark Gregg reprises his movie role as agent Phil Coulson, an appearance that requires heavy explanation, as Coulson died in “The Avengers.”  Though the show has similar qualities to the popular series “Heroes,” It has definite promise for longevity on TV.  

“Brooklyn Nine-Nine” 

(Fox) 

Tuesdays at 8:30 p.m.

Beginning Sept. 17 

In what seems to be a cross between “Law & Order” and “The Office,” Fox has heavily promoted the premiere of “Brooklyn Nine-Nine,” which stars Andy Samberg (SNL).  Samberg plays the role of a laid-back detective who must change his childish behaviors when his precinct hires a new captain, played by Andre Braugher. If the trailers are an accurate representation of what the season will hold, “Brooklyn Nine-Nine” is sure to be comedy gold, and definitely must-see TV.

“Hostages” 

(CBS) 

Mondays at 10 p.m.

Beginning Sept. 23 

In a plot reminiscent to a Hollywood blockbuster, “Hostages” stars Toni Collette (United States of Tara) as the surgeon who has been assigned to saving the U.S. president’s life.  A terrorist group run by an FBI agent, played by Dylan McDermott (The Practice), takes Collette’s family hostage in exchange for her taking the president’s life on the operating table. Though it is hard to find a way for the show to run longer than one season, given the plotline, the trailer promises a lot of twists and turns. The show is produced by Jerry Bruckheimer (The Lone Ranger), giving the show an extra
production edge above the other premiere shows.  

“The Millers” 

(CBS) 

Thursdays at 8:30 p.m.

Beginning Oct. 3 

After the cancellation of  “Up All Night” last season, Will Arnett takes another shot in the sitcom world with “The Millers.” Returning to his home after a divorce, Arnett finds himself in the turmoil of his parent’s
marriage. Following the lead of his son, Arnett’s father played by Beau Bridges (The Descendents), moves out of the house and in with his daughter and her husband. Despite the added laugh track, there seems to be a possibility of a hit with the highly dysfunctional Millers. 

“Surviving Jack” 

(Fox) 

(slated for midseason)  

Fans of “Law & Order: SVU” may get a rush of excitement to see Christopher Meloni’s return to TV.  Set in the 1990s, Meloni plays an ex-military man who becomes a full-time parent when his wife, played by Alex Horner, decides to go to law school. His two teenage children seem apprehensive to the new change as Meloni’s parenting style comes across as abrasive and blunt. Fox’s lineup this season shows a lot of promise, and “Surviving Jack” seems as though it can thrive with the best of them.

“Trophy Wife” 

(ABC) 

Tuesdays at 9:30 p.m. 

Beginning Sept. 24 

There is a large presence of Hollywood stars in the new fall lineup. Malin Akerman (Rock of Ages) stars as Kate, the new young wife of Pete, played by Bradley Whitford (The West Wing).  “Trophy Wife” follows Akerman as she deals with the daily struggles of adjusting to a new life in a chaotic atmosphere filled with Pete’s two ex-wives and their children. If the trailer is any indication of what the season will bring, “Trophy Wife” should thrive well in the new fall season.