Dining hall closes in Andros Complex

Residents looking for lunch on campus will find one less option this semester as Bulls Den Cafe closed.

Bulls Den, which was open until the end of summer, served students primarily in the Andros residential area. Closing the dining hall is the beginning of a long-term renovation project, which Assistant Vice President for USF Campus Business Services Jeff Mack said will include removing and adding new buildings, dining and retail establishments. The project, however, is still in early planning stages at the university.

“In terms of investing anymore dollars in Andros, with this project underway at this point, it seemed like it would be better to reinvest those dollars in the new project as opposed to maintenance and further renovations on the current facility,” Mack said.

One Andros resident, Rogelio Morales, a freshman majoring in mechanical engineering, said he was angry when he found out Bulls Den was closed. He said it bothered him because now he has to walk across the street to Argos, instead of staying in the Andros area.

“It would be more convenient here, and Fresh Food Company is always packed with people,” Morales said.

Ashley Horowitz, marketing manager for USF Dining Services, wrote in an email to The Oracle that Bulls Den was popular because of its late night dining hours, remaining open until 2 a.m., seven nights a week. These hours will be moved to Fresh Food Company, the dining hall located in the Argos residential area.

In addition to extending its hours, Mack said Fresh Food Company will undergo a $750,000 expansion this semester. This will include the addition of 100 seats along the south side of the building, along with the installation of televisions and speakers similar to those installed in Juniper Dining in the spring.

Horowitz said the POD Market and Ben & Jerry’s next to Bulls Den will remain open with additional offerings and products.

“The enhancements going on in all the dining halls are in order to meet the needs and requests of students so that we can have an environment for people to gather on campus…,” Mack said. “We always want to respond to what the student needs are.”