Bulls to return to Vero Beach under Taggart

USF football coach Willie Taggart announced the Bulls will be heading to Vero Beach for practice — an ongoing tradition since 2010.

After its first practice on Aug. 5, the team will be at Vero Beach from Aug. 10-17. With the arrival of Taggart it was apparent that much would change, but it was unclear whether or not he would keep the tradition former coach Skip Holtz started.

After USF’s first football coach Jim Leavitt, Holtz thought Vero Beach would be a good spot for his team to come together. Taggart believes in the same idea.

“I’m looking forward to the opportunity to train at the Vero Beach Sports Village,” Taggart said. “I’ve heard nothing but good things about the people there and I think it will be a good opportunity for this football team to come together.”

Vero Beach, formerly called “Dodger Town,” used to be the spring training location for the once Brooklyn Dodgers, now Los Angeles Dodgers, from 1948-2008.

Following practice at Vero Beach, Bulls will host Fan Fest at Raymond James Stadium on Aug. 18. The Bulls play their season opener on Aug. 31 against McNeese State.

“We have a lot of work to do heading into the season,” Taggart said. “This will give us a distraction-free location, where we can just focus on what we need to get done.”

— Staff report