Nevins, Salvarola: Team USF to Team USA

Softball season may have ended at USF, but for pitcher Sara Nevins and shortstop Kourtney Salvarola, the season is just getting started.

Both Nevins and Salvarola have been selected to play this summer as part of the 18-player 2013 USA Softball Women’s National Team.

The two USF stars earned their spots after competing in a three-day selection camp at the Amateur Softball Association Hall of Fame Complex and will play July 11-14 as part of Team USA in the World Cup of Softball in Oklahoma City.

“It’s very exciting to play for your country and also represent USF,” Nevins said in a press release.

Nevins and Salvarola won’t even have to transition to a new coaching style for the series, as USF coach Ken Eriksen coaches Team USA.

Nevins is coming off a big year, as she finished the season with a 1.20 ERA, ranking her sixth in the nation. She was also named Big East Pitcher of the Year and led the Bulls with 26 wins and 275 strikeouts in 215 2/3 innings.

While the left-handed Nevins had the hot hand this year, Salvarola also posted an impressive year. She led the Bulls with a .331 batting average, 56 hits, 39 runs, 13 home runs, 43 RBIs, a .663 slugging percentage and a .447 on-base percentage, and was also selected to the All-Big East First Team.

Eriksen said Salvarola brings versatility to the USA team, similar to how she did for USF, because she could play shortstop, second base, third base or outfield.

“She lends herself to a lot of valuable aspects of this team, and everybody that wears USA is going to play,” Eriksen said in a press release. “It’s great that she has the opportunity to learn from a lot of great players around her.”

Salvarola and Nevins will join Bulls Erica Nunn and Lee Ann Spivey, who play on the national junior level.

Staff report