Bulls add experience to coaching staff

The USF men’s basketball team made an addition to its coaching staff yesterday with the hire of assistant coach Mike Wells, a move which will bring skill to the Bulls’ sidelines that will bring experience to the Bulls’ sidelines.

While USF coach Stan Heath described Wells as “out of the box,” he sees USF’s style of play moving closer to an NBA style – and Wells fits into that plan.

Wells coached as an assistant at George Mason for the past two seasons, but before his second stint coaching on the collegiate level, Wells spent 17 seasons coaching in the NBA. During his professional career, he helped bring two NBA championships to two different teams.

“I believe his development through the NBA system will help our team become more innovative and creative both offensively and defensively,” Heath said.

“Additionally, his time spent on the floor working with NBA players will make our players very excited as they go about reaching their goals individually.”

His time in the NBA started in 1995 when he was promoted from assistant video coordinator to assistant coach of the Houston Rockets, who won the NBA championship that year after winning it the year prior.  

He then coached under Rudy Tomjanovich in
2004-05 for the Los Angeles Lakers. Wells went on to coach under Gregg Popovich for the San Antonio Spurs from 2005-09. In 2007, the Spurs won the
championship, giving Wells his second. He spent his final two NBA seasons with the Washington Wizards, from 2009-11.

“His experiences with some of the best coaches in the game, like Gregg Popovich and Rudy Tomjanovich, will prove extremely valuable.” Heath said.

Along with his experience in the NBA, Wells also served on the national level as the head scout for the USA Basketball senior national team for four summers, which included a gold medal in the 2000 summer Olympics.

“He’s going to be a very valuable asset and will play an integral role on this staff,” Heath said.

– Staff report