Two USF coaches sign to extend contracts

USF women’s basketball coach Jose Fernandez and soccer coach George Kiefer cemented their status as Bulls for a while longer, signing contract extensions Friday, according to a press release.

Kiefer’s contract has been extended through the 2017 season and Fernandez’s will run through the 2017-18 season.

With an overall record of 211-195 in his 13 years with the Bulls, Fernandez is USF’s all-time leader in wins. In nine of the last 10 seasons with Fernandez the Bulls have qualified for postseason play, which includes the Bulls’ only two NCAA tournament appearances and their first national championship in the 2009 WNIT.

This season, the Bulls had a 22-win season, which gave Fernandez his 200th career victory. This year when the Bulls beat Texas Tech, it was the women’s basketball team’s first NCAA tournament win in school history. That historic moment led the Bull overtime loss to California and a win there would have put the Bulls in the Sweet 16.

“I’m very grateful for the opportunity that the Athletic Director Doug Woolard and President (Judy) Genshaft have given my staff, players and I,” Fernandez said in a press release. “We have unlimited success in front of us here.”

Kiefer’s extended contract comes after his 11th season of coaching at USF.

His overall record, at 123-62-32, includes highlights of men’s soccer at USF. Leading the Bulls to two of their three Elite Eight appearances in 2008 and 2011, Kiefer has helped USF to the NCAA tournament seven times.

Kiefer and the Bulls hold the nation’s longest home undefeated streak with 30 wins. On the national level, under Kiefer USF has totaled a record of 28-20-5 against ranked teams.

The men’s soccer team also received the NSCAA Team Academic Award four times under Kiefer.

“We’ve had a strong run up to this point and we’re inches away from winning a national championship,” Kiefer said in the press release. “I’m extremely excited for what’s to come for this program.”

USF Director of Intercollegiate Athletics Doug Woolard made his announcement of the extensions Friday and said he is excited to see where the coaches will take USF in the future.

“Jose has taken our women’s basketball program to new heights under his leadership, including last season’s trip to the NCAA Tournament,” Woolard said. “George has built our men’s soccer program into a national power that is competing not only for conference championships, but national championships. We’re excited to see both of them continue to build off of their success in the coming years.”