USF looks to end losing streak while on the road

For some, it may be hard tobelieve that just a year ago the USF mens basketball team was on a four-game winning streak.

Now, with four gamesremaining to salvage what is left of the season, the Bulls (10-15, 1-12) hope to start their last stretch of the season on Wednesday night with a win over St. Johns, preventing a ninth straight loss.

St. Johns (15-10, 7-6) will also try to rebound from a loss atNo.12 Louisville the same Cardinals squad that walked into the Sun Dome on Sunday and dominated the Bulls.

The Red Storm managed a slightly more respectable loss to the Top 25 team, losing by 14 while the Bulls were beaten by 18.

St. Johns also suffered a loss the game before at No. 6 Syracuse.

But the question remains as to whose streak will end.

After displaying their second worst shooting percentage of season from the field last week,going 24 percent, the Bulls look to do something they havent done in a while play a full game.

In the game against Louisville, though they only shot 34 percent from the field, the Bulls went5-9 from the three-point range. USF followed that by going 0-11 in the second half from deep not the second half fans were expecting.

This isnt the first instance where USF was a one-half team.

Going back to their game against No. 18 Marquette onFeb. 6, USF went 42 percent from deep in the first half, shooting7 percent in the second.

The most notable instance of this inconsistency was probably against No. 21 Notre Dame, in which the Bulls shot for an astonishing60 percent from the field in the first half and 38 percent in thesecond half with nearly everyother stat dipping along with it.

The key for USF on Wednesday will be shooting a tough goal to set when facing a St. Johns team that ranks fourth in the Big East in field goal defense, allowing39 percent per game.

Another focus for the Bulls will be rebounding, something that USF actually excelled in last game.

USF senior forward and FAU transfer Kore White posted nine rebounds against the Big Louisville squad. Senior forward Victor Rudd chipped in with nine of his own that night.

There have been a few bright spots here and there forUSF freshman guard JaVontae Hawkins has stepped up as of late,averaging 7.4 points per game, and the 7-foot-3 freshman centerJordan Omogbehin has beengetting more minutes to help with the size issue.

St. Johns will relyheavily on its sophomore guard DAngelo Harrison, whoseaveraged15.8 points in conferenceseason, putting up 18 points in the game at Louisville.

With a 2-7 record on the road, the two-game stint starting at St .Johns will be one of the lastchances for the Bulls to prove they can be consistent andthat they still have some gas left in the tank.