Students rally at State Capitol for environmental policy reform

Marching down the streets of Tallahassee, USF students joined more than 200 young voters Sunday to demand presidential candidates break their silence and create clear policies to aid the environment and cleaner energy.

The rally started on the Florida Agricultural and Mechanical University campus and ended at the State Capitol.

I believe in the youth vote and the urgency of climate change, Shaza Hussein, a senior majoring in chemistry and environmental policy, said in an email to The Oracle. Now more than ever, it is essential that we hold our politicians accountable for the damages inflicted on our earth.

Hussein said the primary objectives for the protest were demands from the presidential candidates to stop ignoring global warming and present a plan to help the environment.
The event was amazing, she said. It was a very powerful experience to see southeast students unite around climate change and election issues.

The demonstration was a closing event organized by the national Power Vote campaign at the end of the Southeast Student Renewable Energy Conference, a weekend-long conference of students meeting
about environmental issues, focusing on how to stop pollution and promote clean energy at college campuses and in their communities. Between all campuses, there were 25 USF students in attendance.

We can see the voices are powerful and are making a difference, Hussein said.