Few students take advantage of insomnia treatment program

Christopher Ferlita, a junior majoring in accounting, uses his backpack between classes as apillow to take a nap.

If I get six hours for two days in a row, its not bad, but by the third day Im like, I need sleep, he said.But for those struggling with
sleep issues, USF Health Management Group is offering a5-week insomnia treatmentprogram to the community.

Six people started the first round of treatment Tuesday, and the center is looking for more people to join.

The program is designed to educate participants on the necessary skills to counter unhealthy sleep habits. The sessions include an educational element, with take home material including a DVD and insomnia treatment manual.

The whole point is to get them to recognize an area called sleep hygiene taking care of your physical health along with your sleep health, Jack Darkes, directorof the Psychological Services Center, said.

According to the National Sleep Foundation, several health problems such as obesity, diabetes, hypertension and depression are related to the amount and quality of a persons sleep.

The program focuses on individuals daily routine in order to identify sleep concerns.

The schedule is probably the biggest thing for most people, saidHeather McGinty, graduate instructional assistant in Clinical Psychology. It can be hard, but what we try to do with this group is find a way to make it work for them.

At $75 for all five sessions, the cost to attend the program is a standard price, Darkes said.

Our rates for any services we provide are reasonable compared to costs in the community and are based on the length of the program and costs for materials that are provided and a small amount that goes to our clinic, he said.

Sessions are Tuesdays from 6 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. and those interested can contact the USF Psychological Services Center at 813-974-2496.