Bulls continue to rise in polls

One day after Sara Nevins received her individual recognition, the USF softball team was rewarded for its accomplishments as a whole.

The Bulls, who are on a 13-game winning streak, jumped three spots from 21 to 18 in both the NFCA and USA Softball Collegiate polls.

USF is tied with the University of California for the second most victories in the nation with 33. Their 33-5 record is the best start to a season in school history.

The teams rise in the ranking was helped by its win over the University of Florida. The Bulls avenged an early season 3-2 home loss to the Gators in the extra innings of a road win that snapped Floridas 16-game winning streak at home.

Track and Field awarded

Thanks to their performances at the Clyde Littlefield Texas Relays over the weekend, two members of the USF track and field team have been recognized by the Big East Conference.

Seniors Jared Thomas and David Aristil were awarded for their efforts. Thomas was named the Big East Male Field Athlete of the Week on the strength of his ninth place finish in the finals of the discus A division. Aristil was awarded the title of Big East Male Track Athlete of the Week after finishing eighth in the 400 meter hurdles.

Thomas was named the Male Field Athlete of the Week for the second consecutive week, after a mammoth performance at the Florida State University Relays earned him his first. The senior placed first in the discus throw in Tallahassee, with a 50.50-meter throw, the longest in the Big East this season. The mark is also good for eighth in the nation.