USF rallies past Seton Hall

The USF women’s basketball team rallied in the second half Wednesday, erasing a 12-point deficit against Seton Hall and winning 57-45 in the Campus Recreation Center.

With the win, USF(12-9, 4-3) sweeps theseason series with Seton Hall and matches its win total from last season. The win moved USF to 6-2 at home on theseason.

“With our record, we can’t afford to lose any more home games,” coach Jose Fernandez said. “We have to protect our home.”

The Bulls trailed by five atthe break, and a 9-2 Seton Hall run to start the second halfleft the Bulls trailing by

12 with 15:52 remaining in the game. It was at that point that the defense intensified and the shooters began finding the basket. USF ripped off a22-3 run over the next 9:41 to take firm control of the game.

Seton Hall led throughoutthe first half, taking animposing 14-9 lead early as the Bulls struggled to findtheir shooting groove, hittingonly 20 percent of their field goals in the first half. USF’s poor shooting extendedoutside the 3-point arc aswell, where the Bulls went1-of-14 on the night.

Though Seton Hall managedto outrebound the Bulls 37-36,USF had no trouble takingthe ball from the Pirate

offense, tallying 16 steals,five of which came fromsenior guard Jasmine Wynne.

Wynne’s hustle to the ball on defense was only matched by her play on offense, where she scored 19 points to lead all scorers. It was her17th consecutive double-figure scoring night.

“It was a tough one,” Wynne said. “We already knew they were going to come out toplay because we beat them

last time at their home. We didn’t come out of the locker room with energy, but when we were down by 12, thelight really came on. Itshouldn’t be like that, but it came on.”

After a three-gamehomestand, USF now hasto hit the road for a difficult trip to No. 3 Connecticut on Saturday. Tipoff is scheduled for 1 p.m.