Fun flicks and classic musicals for Winter 2012

Students dreading the beginning of the spring semester can take solace in the fact that there are many on-campus activities looking to make this season of tests and group projects a little less tedious.

In January and February alone we’ll have everything from screenings of acclaimed independent films right here on USF’s own campus to concerts by popular recording artists and sports events in the Tampa Bay area. So here’s to the start of the spring semester and all the fun you could potentially have.

Movies on the Lawn: “50/50”

While USF’s own repertory screenings of popular films, known affectionately as “Movies on the Lawn,” has often favored larger blockbusters such as “Green Lantern” and “The Hangover Part II,” things look to get a little more low-key with the Jan. 11 screening of “50/50.”

Featuring “Knocked Up” star Seth Rogen and “Inception” wise-cracker Joseph Gordon-Levitt, “50/50” is the true story of the film’s own screenwriter Will Reiser and his battle with cancer. However, it injects the same sort of frat comedy found in Rogen’s repertoire of films that helps put the “‘bro’ in neuro-fibroma-sarcoma-schwannoma” according to Oracle writer Jimmy Geurts’ review of the film.

Time: Wednesday at 9 p.m.

Location: Bookstore Lawn next to the Marshall Student Center

Price: Free

Tampa Bay Lightning VS Boston Bruins

While the Tampa Bay Lightning may not be having the best season so far – they currently sit in 13th place for the NHL Eastern conference – they’ll have a chance to prove themselves on the ice against last year’s Stanley Cup-winning Boston Bruins.

The Bruins, ranked No. 2 in the Eastern division, are currently maintaining a tight hold on their championship reign, only recently losing to the No. 1-seated New York Rangers. Regardless of statistics and standing, it should be a treat for any fans who have a thirst for a little roughhousing on the hockey rinks.

Time: Tuesday, Jan. 17 at 7:30 p.m.

Location: Tampa Bay Times Forum

Price: Tickets start at $30 and vary by seating level

Website: stpetetimesforum.com

“Les Miserables” 25th Anniversary Production

From Jan. 31 through Feb. 12, Bank of America and the Tampa Bay Times are helping the David A. Straz, Jr. Center for the Performing Arts in welcoming the 25th anniversary production of the legendary stage production “Les Miserables.”

Boublil & Schnberg’s beloved musical adaptation of Victor Hugo’s classic novel has been updated for its anniversary, featuring new sets drawn from Victor Hugor’s own paintings, and has led many critics and fans alike to christen it a worthy rebirth of the production.

Time: Tuesday, Jan. 31 through Sunday, Feb. 12 at varying times

Location: David A. Straz, Jr. Center for the Performing Arts

Price: Regularly priced tickets start at $38.50

Website: strazcenter.org

Sleigh Bells and Diplo

Having remixed diverse artists from Bloc Party to Britney Spears, as well as serving as co-writer and producer on hit tracks like M.I.A.’s “Paper Planes,” Philadelphia-based disk jockey Diplo is no stranger to your eardrums or the local nightclub. Diplo will be bringing his scratches and beats to the Ritz Ybor on Feb. 4 along with acclaimed rock duo Sleigh Bells.

Consisting of Brooklynites Derek E. Miller and Alexis Krauss, Sleigh Bells have won praise from both fans and critics alike for their 2010 album “Treats,” and even helped the trailer for the critically reviled Taylor Lautner-starring actioner “Abduction” appear to be cool with their track “Kids.” There’s a good chance there will be much to dance about at The Ritz Ybor come February.

Time: Saturday, Feb. 4 at 9 p.m.

Location: The Ritz Ybor

Price: $23 with applicable service fees

Website: ritzybor.com