Athlete injured as USF goes winless

The women’s soccer team continued its seven-game homestand with a pair of games this weekend, but could not manage a win.

USF (2-2-1) lost 1-0 to Vanderbilt (4-1-0) on Friday night before playing out a 0-0 draw with Murray State (1-4-1) on Sunday.

The Bulls’ defense limited the Commodores to four shots, but could not prevent senior Candace West from scoring the only goal of the game.

The match was marred by an incident in the second half that delayed the game for 35 minutes. While on a breakaway, USF forward Chelsea Klotz collided with Vanderbilt goalie Alexa Levick, who was knocked unconscious. Levick was taken away from the field in an ambulance and to an area hospital for observation. Klotz was also injured in the collision and did not play Sunday.

Attempting to bounce back from the loss, USF could only manage a double overtime scoreless draw against Murray State. The Bulls’ defense was again the bright side of the game, holding the Racers to nine shots and keeping another clean sheet. The Bulls’ attack managed to create numerous opportunities, with 24 shots taken, but could not produce a goal.

Though the match lasted 120 minutes, USF coach Denise Schilte-Brown said she felt conditioning wasn’t the problem.

“We looked fit and pushed right to the very end,” she said. “It wasn’t a lack of effort or fitness; it was a lack of finishing.”

USF forward Noelle Pieiro had a chance to win the game from the penalty spot in the final six seconds of the second overtime, but the shot caromed off the post.

The Bulls will be back on the field Friday when they face off with Akron (1-2-1), the first of two home games this weekend.