Bulls return home for weekend set

After a successful road trip to start the regular season, the USF men’s soccer team (1-0-0) is ready to properly acclimate itself to its new home.

Following a 2-1 win over the University of Tampa Spartans in the exhibition game that opened the new Corbett Soccer Stadium, the men’s team went on the road Saturday for a 2-0 victory over Wake Forest – ranked No. 13 by Soccer America at the time. The win was enough to boost the Bulls to No. 9 in that same poll.

That road victory, which took place in the most hostile environment USF coach George Kiefer said he expects to bring his team into all year, has the team’s confidence soaring.

“To go into Wake and get a win, you know, it was (Wake Forest’s) orientation week,” Kiefer said. “As a soccer team, you don’t usually see the band, and cheerleaders and a motorcycle on the field. But the guys didn’t let it get to them.”

With a road win under their belt, the Bulls will now play their first two regular season home games in their new stadium this weekend.

First into town is Georgia State (1-0-0) for a match between undefeated squads Friday night at 7:30. The Panthers are coming off of a 1-0 season-opening victory over Lipscomb.

The Bulls return to action Sunday night with another 7:30 kickoff against Robert Morris (1-0-0). The Bulls can use this game as a measuring stick for conference play, as the Colonials’ opened their season with a 2-1 victory over Big East foe Pittsburgh.