Grothe signs with Tampa Bay Storm

Former USF quarterback Matt Grothe is once again plying his trade in Tampa.

Grothe, the most distinguished quarterback in USF history, made his first start with the Arena Football League’s Tampa Bay Storm on Saturday.

Grothe was a four-year starter for the Bulls and led the program to its highest honor to date, a No. 2 national ranking in his junior year. A left ACL tear three games into the 2009 season ended his USF career prematurely, but not before he claimed the Big East career yardage record.

Grothe began his professional career in the United Football League with the Florida Tuskers before spending two stints with the Canadian Football League’s Toronto Argonauts. He now plays with the Storm.

In his debut with the Storm on Saturday night against the Georgia Force, Grothe displayed his talents for the Tampa crowd once again. He threw five touchdown passes, including a 40-yard touchdown on his first AFL pass after taking over as quarterback in the second half, though the Storm still lost 58-40.

Grothe joins a handful of former USF teammates – receiver Amarri Jackson, defensive end Jarriett Buie and linebacker Terrence Royal. Two more former Bulls, quarterback Grant Gregory and receiver Huey Whittaker, were on the Storm roster this season.

The Storm’s final regular season game is Saturday and they will not make the playoffs.