Roccaforte joins basketball staff

After completing a 10-23 season, the men’s basketball coaching staff has a new member.

Coach Stan Heath announced the hiring of assistant coach Steve Roccaforte on Friday. Roccaforte spent the last five years of a coaching career that spans more than 20 years as Lamar University’s head coach.

He was also named the Southland Conference coach of the year following the 2007-08 season.

“Roc is a terrific addition to our staff,” Heath said to gousfbulls.com. “His track record as a coach, recruiter and worker is at a high level. I fully expect Steve to hit the ground running in all areas on our Bulls staff.”

Roccaforte is known for his recruiting prowess in particular, and has worked under some of the most prominent college coaches in the country such as Billy Tubbs and John Calipari. His coaching career has included stints as an assistant at Lamar, Centenary College, Tulane, Wyoming and Memphis.

While with Memphis in 2001, Roccaforte helped reel in the No. 1 rated recruiting class nationally and coached NBA players Amar’e Stoudemire and Kendrick Perkins.

He has also made seven trips to the postseason as an assistant, including two berths in the NCAA Tournament while at Tulane and Memphis.

“I’m very excited to work for Stan Heath,” Roccaforte said in a statement. “I think he is on the verge of something very big at USF and I am happy to be a part of that, while also joining the best basketball league in the country – the Big East Conference.”

Roccaforte will arrive on campus today.

Men and women’s teams sign Muma Center floor

With the hardwood courts expected to be laid in the Pam and Les Muma Basketball Center today, the men and women’s basketball teams took the opportunity to sign the cement floors last Friday.

The coaches and players from both programs signed the floors that will be underneath the practice courts in the Muma Center, which is on schedule for a mid-July opening.