Quick Picks: Freakonomics, Art, and Dragon Boats take over the heart of Tampa

Thursday:

“Freakonomics”

The historic Tampa Theatre is hosting a one-night-only screening of the documentary “Freakonomics,” based on the best-selling novel by Steven Levitt and Stephen Dubner. The screening of the film, which studies the theory of incentive-based thinking, will be followed by a discussion of the film with members of USF’s very own Stavros Center.

Time: Thursday at 7:30 p.m.

Location: Tampa Theatre, 711 Franklin St.

Price: $9 for adults

Website: tampatheatre.org

Friday:

“Art on the House”

Thanks to the Hill Ward Henderson law firm, every Friday starting April 29 the Tampa Museum of Art will be hosting a free program, “Art on the House.” If you enter the museum between the hours of 4 p.m. and 8 p.m., your admission to look at the many works of art that line the newly renovated museum walls will be absolutely free.

Time: Friday, April 29 from 4 p.m.to 8 p.m.

Location: Tampa Museum of Art, 120 W. Gasparilla Plaza

Price: Admission is free

Website: tampamueseum.org

Saturday:

8th Annual Tampa Bay International Dragon Boat Races

For eight years, the Tampa Bay Dragon Boat Institute has hosted a race on the bay, with many of the unique water vessels racing to raise money for both the FACTors Breast Cancer Program and The Florida Aquarium. The events are held at the Marriot Waterside Hotel and Marina, and will coincide with an Asia Fest and International Beer Festival.

Time: Saturday, April 30, from 8:30 a.m. to 7 p.m.

Location: Marriott Tampa Waterside Hotel and Marina, 700 S. Florida Ave.

Price: Varies by event.

Website: tampabaydragonboats.com

Sunday:

Toad the Wet Sprocket at The Ritz Ybor

Those looking to strap on their worn pair of Doc Martens and long for a time when “Dawson’s Creek” ruled the television airwaves should look no further than the Toad the Wet Sprocket show at The Ritz Ybor on May 1. The ’90s alternative rock group found major success with hits like “All I Want” and “Something’s Always Wrong,” and will most certainly be packing the posh Ritz with plenty of nostalgia come Sunday.

Time: Sunday, May 1 at 8:00 p.m.

Location: The Ritz Ybor, 1503 E. Seventh Ave.

Price: Tickets are $25.50

Website: daddykoolrecords.bigcartel.com