Apple App Store reaches 10 billionth download

Proving that Apple is still at the head of the pack in the digital age, the computer company announced on Saturday that the Apple App Store reached its 10 billionth download.

According to CNET.com, the App Store has experienced exponential growth since its launch in July 2008, reaching 1 billion downloads in its first nine months. The current download numbers have more than doubled in less than a year, up from 5 billion downloads in June 2010.

In conjunction with the milestone, Apple promised the person with the 10 billionth download a $10,000 App Store gift card. According to PC Magazine, Apple used a similar reward promotion in February of last year to celebrate the 10 billionth song sold on iTunes.

According to the Apple fan site Cult of Mac, the lucky winner of the App Store gift card was Gail Davis of Orpington, England. One of Davis’ daughters downloaded the 10 billionth app, a popular game called “Paper Glider” that lets users fly paper airplanes around a virtual office.

“The App Store has revolutionized how software is created, distributed, discovered and sold,” Apple marketing vice president Philip Schiller said to CNN.

And this digital revolution for mobile computing appears to be ongoing.

Apple announced earlier this month that the iPhone would become available on the Verizon wireless network beginning in February. App Store downloads are sure to increase once more consumers have access to Apple’s popular cell phone, which will no longer be offered exclusively by AT&T.