Bulls to get test against No. 1 Akron in exhibition

Even though it’s only an exhibition match, the Bulls should get a good idea of what kind of team they have this weekend.

USF men’s soccer hosts No. 1 Akron in its third and final exhibition Saturday at 7:30 p.m.

The Bulls lost to Akron 2-0 in the second round of the NCAA tournament last year.

“Every year, we try to play top teams in preseason. I think the guys are fortunate to have administrators who allow us to play these better games,” coach George Kiefer said. “It’s difficult to get top, top teams, so we’ll have some fun.”

The Bulls, who are ranked preseason No. 13 by College Soccer News, tied their first exhibition match and won their second.

Despite another flashy preseason ranking, the team isn’t too worried about how it stacks up against some of the nation’s best.

“Preseason’s preseason,” said senior goalkeeper Jeff Attinella. “You have to perform on the field. You could be ranked preseason top 10, and if you drop your first two games to teams you shouldn’t lose to, rankings don’t matter at all.”

“It’s nice to know that coaches and other teams think that highly of us, but you have to stay humble, take it day-by-day.”

The Bulls open their regular season next Wednesday at home against Florida Gulf Coast.

Attinella honored Senior goalkeeper Jeff Attinella has been named to the Preseason Lowe’s Senior Class Award watch list. The award honors a senior for achievements in the community, classroom, character and competition.

Attinella has already been named a candidate for the Hermann Trophy, which is given to the National Player of the Year, preseason Goalkeeper of the Year by the Big East coaches and a second team preseason All-America by College Soccer News.

Former Bull Zak Boggs was a finalist for the award last season.

Women’s soccer travels for tournament

Coming off a 4-0 win against North Florida in its opener, the USF women’s soccer team will travel to Kentucky for the 2010 Racer Classic, where they will face Murray State (0-0-2) on Friday at 2 p.m. and Southeast Missouri State (1-0-0) on Sunday at noon.

The Bulls, who got goals from four different players on Friday, (1-0) have never faced either team.