New student organization hosts USF’s first undergraduate health symposium

Students seeking help with their health care job search should look no further than the Marshall Student Center (MSC).

Health professionals and speakers from organizations like Volunteer USF and Undergraduate Research will speak at the first ever Undergraduate Health Symposium today from 10:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. in the MSC Ballroom.

The event is hosted by the USF Undergraduate Health Council and will teach pre-medical students how to become successful pre-health graduates, said Vanessa Rosa, vice president of programming for the Undergraduate Health Council.

“We want to provide information to undergraduates who want the information about a health career,” said Rosa, a junior majoring in pre-medical sciences.

Dr. Alicia Monroe, vice dean for USF Educational Affairs, will be the event’s keynote speaker at noon.

The event will also showcase USF pre-health organizations like Minority Pre-Professional Science Society and Pre-Med American Medical Student Association.

The Undergraduate Health Council has been working since the start of the semester with the help of a $1,200 grant from Student Government (SG), Rosa said. It received the grant at the end of the summer, she said.

At the beginning of the semester, SG used $10,000 from student-paid Activity and Service fees to provide $2,000 grants to five events, said Kelly Budnick, SG senator and chair of the Committee on Programming Audits.

One event did not use its full grant so the remaining $1,200 was given to the council, Budnick said.

It’s the first semester the council has been active, Rosa said.

“The purpose of the council is to provide a forum in which all the undergraduate organizations can collaborate with each other and know about each other,” she said.

The council hopes to have this event in future semesters. A majority of the money was used to buy food and decorations, Rosa said.

“We are hoping to have a continuum. We want to have a symposium,” she said. “It’s still in the works and we plan on applying for another (SG) grant.”

Additional reporting by Yaffi Hilili