Bulls focused on FIU

After their second straight conference-series sweep, the Bulls know they can’t afford a letdown.

“We’ve come out a little flat after some sweeps this year,” said sophomore Stephen Hunt, who hit three home runs in USF’s three-game sweep at Georgetown. “Taking three road games (at Georgetown) was huge for us.”

The Bulls swept Pittsburgh in a series that ended April 5, but two days later they gave up 12 runs in a loss to non-conference opponent Jacksonville.

USF (22-11, 10-2) will be tested out of conference again when it hosts two games this week against FIU (20-12, 9-6), starting Tuesday at 7 p.m. at Red McEwen Field.

USF assistant coach Bryant Ward said the Bulls need to stay focused on their approach at the plate.

“We had a chance to hit a few balls out of the ball park these last few games,” said assistant coach Bryant Ward. “Our guys have to understand that’s not us. We play in one of the biggest parks in the Big East. We have to get back to the line drives, the hit by pitch, the walks, the quality at-bats, the team offense, all those things that have allowed us to get to this point.”

The Bulls hit a total of eight home runs in three games this weekend, including a
season-high six in Friday’s game. The Bulls have hit a home run in six straight games.

Expected to start Tuesday is junior Teddy Kaufman, who started in the Jacksonville game and didn’t escape the second inning.

Freshman Matt Reed is expected to start Wednesday. Reed has a 2.55 ERA this year in
four appearances. Wednesday’s game begins at 3 p.m.

“He’s been doing some good stuff,” said USF coach Lelo Prado.  “He’s showing us some things this year.”

The all-time series between these USF and FIU is 49-49.