Women’s tennis finishes regular season at home

A season riddled with injuries and tough losses is about to come to an end for the South Florida women’s tennis team.

The Bulls (6-11) travel to Miami on Saturday to face the No. 40 Golden Panthers at 11 a.m.

Florida International (13-5) enters the match at University Park having won eight consecutive matches. The Golden Panthers are 9-0 at home this season.

“(FIU) is a really tough team and has been playing some good tennis,” said Bulls coach Agustin Moreno. “We have had success against them in the past, but (Saturday’s match) is going to be hard.”

FIU is led by the No. 70 ranked player in the nation, Liset Brito. The sophomore is 15-3 on the season and has won 14-of-15 previous matches in the No. 1 singles position.

Brito will take on USF sophomore Irene Rehberger, who enters the match at No. 48 and on a 10-match win streak.

“It will be very interesting to watch the top singles match and see who comes out on top,” Moreno said. “Brito is a really good player, but I think Irene (Rehberger) is tougher and will win.”

Moreno said his priority is finishing the regular season on a positive note as the Bulls head into the Big East championships April 15.

“It is very important for us to finish as best we can,” he said. “We have had so many problems with injuries, but I know we can compete with the best teams in our
conference.”

The Bulls have been to the Big East championship finals in all of Moreno’s three years at USF. The Bulls won the title in 2007 and finished second in the other two seasons.