Voting issues continue during runoff election

The last day to vote in the student body presidential runoff election — between candidates Christopher Leddy and Juan Soltero — is today. Issues with the election management program have come up with the voting.

Several students have been able to vote on their laptops while on campus, despite the restriction SG placed on mobile polling stations this year.

Supervisor of Elections Michael van Hoek said he has not received any official reports of students voting on laptops while on campus but that he is looking into the situation.

Van Hoek said unofficial mobile polling stations were banned this year in an attempt to make the voting process cleaner.

“When there was unlimited online voting, that enabled campaigns to do certain activities — like going out on campus with a laptop and a box of pizza and enticing voters who otherwise didn’t engage,” van Hoek said.

The election results will be announced tonight during the intermission of the annual People Respecting Individual Diversity and Equality (P.R.I.D.E) Alliance’s Drag Show.

Kristen Shalosky, president of P.R.I.D.E, originally approached SG with the idea, van Hoek said.

“(P.R.I.D.E) was very gracious to come to us and say, ‘If you’re looking for a place that has a microphone, a crowd of people, and food and drinks to announce the results, we would be honored to assist Student Government in that,'” van Hoek said.

The P.R.I.D.E Alliance Drag Show begins at 6:30 p.m. in MSC Ballroom A and will feature amateur student and professional performers.

Election results will be announced during intermission at approximately 7:30 p.m. Admission is free, though tips are suggested.