Bulls take a determined approach

The Bulls (5-5) will look to erase the disappointment of their loss to Marshall when they host in-state foe UCF (4-7) at Red McEwen Field tonight at 7.

Marshall denied USF a three-game sweep Sunday after erasing a 6-1 deficit.

“We’re going to come out wanting to win that much more,” said sophomore Junior Carlin, who leads the Bulls with a .600 average. “That game (Sunday) made us mad. We’re going to look at that game and come out Tuesday with a lot of intensity.”

Junior LHP Teddy Kaufman is expected to make his first start of the year for the Bulls. Kaufman has seen limited action this year, making his only appearance out of the bullpen in the Bulls’ opening loss to Michigan.

Sophomore utility player Stephen Hunt missed the weekend series against Marshall after sustaining a hand injury last week, said athletic trainer Josh Herran. Coach Lelo Prado also said Hunt felt some tightness in his quads and his status has yet to be
determined.

“The swelling’s subsided a bit, so I’d like to get him going this week,” Prado said. “I don’t know if he’ll start tomorrow or Wednesday.”

USF looks to continue its hit parade after racking up 33 runs in three games en route to a 2-1 record last weekend.

The Bulls are hitting .331 as a team and have seven players better than .340. Four players have an average better than .400.

“We’ve been having quality at-bats,” junior Peter Brotons said. “We’re taking it pitch by pitch, batter by batter, and coming up clutch when we’ve needed to. We’re hitting as a team.”

The Bulls scored 64 runs in the last six games, including run totals of 15, 13, 13 and 14.

“It’s exciting when they’re scoring runs,” Prado said. “It makes life easier.”

Life will be a whole lot easier if the Bulls can take care of the Knights on Tuesday.

USF faces UCF again Wednesday in Orlando at 6:30 p.m. Wednesday’s starter is yet to be announced.