Bulls travel to Villanova

Last year, the South Florida men’s soccer team shut out Villanova 3-0. This year, the Bulls look to continue their success against the Wildcats, who come into Friday’s Big East showdown against the Bulls with a record of 6-7-1.

Despite recent success against the Wildcats — including outscoring them 5-2 in the past two wins — the Bulls know that previous meetings mean very little when it comes to the task at hand.

“We know we have to continue our one-game-at-a-time mentality,” freshman midfielder Sebastien Thuriere said. “Hopefully we can build off our last game and get a road win.”

Nothing will come easy, however. 

The Bulls’ last two out-of-state trips resulted in losses.

“I think we’re a pretty good road team,” coach George Kiefer said. “Being at home certainly helps. It’s nice to play at our stadium. But, if you look at the big picture, how many teams in our conference can say they’ve done what we’ve done? We’ve won two out of four road games in conference. That’s pretty good. It’s a tough conference.”

That last observation might be a bit of an understatement — the Big East has five teams ranked in the top 20 nationally.

Regardless, Kiefer said he sees a positive outcome in the Bulls’ future.

“I feel real good about this one,” he said.

USF has a grasp on second place in the Big East Red Division at the moment, trailing St. John’s by one game and leading Louisville and DePaul by one game each.

Villanova, however, has momentum as they come off a big road win against Louisville on Saturday.