USF football gaining bowl game exposure

It’s never too early to start thinking about bowl season, and the No. 10 South Florida football team is starting to realize that.

Moving into the top 10 in both the Associated Press and USA Today/Coaches polls has made the spotlight on the Bulls a little bit brighter, with representatives from several major bowl games attending Thursday’s game against Pittsburgh.

There will be representatives from 11 bowl games on hand, including members from the four Bowl Championship Series bowls: the FedEx Orange Bowl, the Allstate Sugar Bowl, the Rose Bowl presented by AT&T and the Tostitos Fiesta Bowl.

The Bulls also introduced a player to the team Monday: former Oklahoma State wide receiver Eddie Cameron, who will join the team as a walk-on. Originally from Pompano Beach, he left OSU after not making a catch in his career. Because of the transfer, however, he is ineligible to play this season.

Bulls players earn Big East Honors
For the second time this season, USF quarterback Matt Grothe was named the Big East Offensive Player of the Week. He was 20-of-29 for 259 yards and had one touchdown. He led the Bulls with 58 rushing yards in their 41-10 win against North Carolina State on Saturday.

Grothe has 1,175 passing yards, leads the team with 219 rushing yards and has nine total touchdowns (eight passing, one rushing) this year.

Mallori Lofton-Malachi, the goalkeeper for the USF women’s soccer team, was named Big East Goalkeeper of the Week on Monday. It was the first time in her career she has received the award.

Lofton-Malachi, a junior from Philadelphia, has gone 308 minutes without allowing a goal, and has five shutouts this season.

“We are really excited for Mallori,” USF coach Denise Schilte-Brown said in a press release. “She has worked hard and the honor is well deserved. Mallori has been a great leader for our team, and I know she will continue (her hard work.)”

Senior Yohance Marshall, a defender for the men’s soccer team, also earned Big East Player of the Week honors.

Marshall helped the Bulls to two shutouts during the weekend — both against Big East opponents — and helped the Bulls improve their record to 6-1-1 this year. USF is 4-0-0 in Big East games.