Volleyball looks to stay perfect at home

After the USF volleyball team won all four matches last weekend in the USF Best Western Invitational, it quickly turned its focus to Big East play. This weekend, the Bulls have two home matches.

Big East play kicks off Friday at 7 p.m. against the Notre Dame Fighting Irish. On Sunday, the Bulls will take on the DePaul Blue Demons at 1 p.m.

USF is undefeated at home with a 7-0 record in the Corral and 9-5 overall. USF coach Claire Lessinger said she believes her team is ready for this weekend.

“I think they’re geared up and ready,” Lessinger said. “It’s a clean slate starting Big East play and we have had time to think on the preseason and think on things we can do better and what we have done well.”

Junior outside hitter Marcela Gurgel is in the top 10 nationwide in two major statistical categories. She is fourth in the country with 4.75 kills per set and ninth in the country with 0.63 aces per set.

“We have momentum now and this week is very important to us because we are starting Big East play. We feel like we’re ready,” Gurgel said.

Despite the fact that Notre Dame comes in with a record of 5-7, Lessinger said the Fighting Irish would challenge her team.

“Notre Dame is such a traditional program.  Their record doesn’t speak for their talent, and they have played tough competition.  Anytime someone says Notre Dame, you think of a big name program,” she said.