Alvarado out as Bulls kicker

At Monday’s weekly news conference, junior Delbert Alvarado said that he was preparing himself as if he were the starting place kicker.

After practice on Wednesday, however, USF football coach Jim Leavitt informed Alvarado that he no longer needed to do so.

Leavitt named freshman Maikon Bonani kicker for Friday’s game against the No. 13 Kansas Jayhawks.

“We’re going to go with Bonani,” Leavitt told the St. Petersburg Times after Wednesday’s practice. “The biggest thing probably is Delbert doing the punting and the kicking. You really don’t see many people in the country do all that. He’s been punting so well.”

According to the Times, there was a one-on-one kickoff between the two. Bonani went 6-of-10 and Alvarado was 4-of-5 from varying distances and hash marks. Alvarado, however, is 1-of-4 in field goal attempts this season.

Injury update
The Bulls have lost a key player for the next several weeks. Sophomore guard Zach Hermann had surgery Wednesday to repair a broken left foot, according to a news release from the USF athletic department.

Leavitt said the injury should not be season-ending.

Senior wide receiver Marcus Edwards, who was injured while fielding a punt Saturday, has been practicing this week and will be available for Friday’s game.

Senior running back Ben Williams and sophomore running back Mike Ford will dress for the game, Leavitt said, but he would not elaborate on how much they will be used.