USF plays UCF for bragging rights

MEN’S TENNIS GAME TIMEUCF (8-7) at USF (11-4)When: Sunday, NoonWhere: USF Varsity Tennis CourtsTV/Radio: None

The South Florida men’s tennis team (11-4) will take to the courts Sunday against the University of Central Florida in what coach Don Barr said is an “interesting rivalry.”

The Bulls boast an 11-game winning streak at home. As the season winds down, Barr said he realizes the importance of a good home record.

“The whole team is working real hard to finish the season undefeated,” Barr said. “It’s going to be important to be undefeated – it could help get us the No. 1 seed (in the Big East Championship).”

USF is coming off of consecutive 7-0 sweeps against Cornell and Winthrop on back-to-back days last week. UCF and the Bulls share the sweep on Cornell.

“(Cornell) was a good team,” Barr said. “It shows Central Florida is a strong team. They won just as we did.”

In doubles, the Bulls will look for a good showing from their No. 1 pair – Thomas Estrada and Daniel Daudt – against UCF’s No. 1 pair of Johan Beigart and Brock Sakey.

Singles No. 1 Lucas Jovita will face Beigart. The Bulls will look for strong performances from everyone to keep their home win streak alive.

For Barr, there is an added motivation for the team’s success.

“(UCF) Coach Bobby Cashman is a good friend of mine,” Barr said. “It would be good to win to have the bragging rights over him for the year.”