Looking to get back to winning

BASEBALL GAME TIMEUSF (10-8, 2-1) at Cincinnati (6-8)When: Tonight, 6:30Where: Marge Schott Stadium TV/Radio: 1010 AM

The South Florida baseball team was getting ready to leave the state for the first time on March 23, 2007 to face Big East foe Notre Dame while riding a two-game winning streak.

USF had a 16-7 overall record and a 2-1 Big East record after having taken two out of three from Pittsburgh. The Bulls’ roster included shortstop Addison Maruszak, infielder Mike Consolmagno and closer Shawn Sanford. USF even posted a 4.33 team ERA.

In the same season, USF averaged 7.5 runs a game despite the fact that only three players hit .300 or better and nobody hit 10 home runs in the entire season.

Today, the Bulls prepare to face the Cincinnati Bearcats in a two-day, three-game series that includes a day/night doubleheader Saturday, with their sights set on snapping a three-game losing streak.

Like the 2007 team, USF is 2-1 in the Big East. However, unlike last year’s team, this squad finds itself with a 10-8 overall record and scrambling for answers.

Statistically, this Bulls team is better than 2007’s. It has four players hitting above .330 and the team ERA is a solid 4.31.

The main difference a year has made is in the results on the field against quality opposition. USF is 0-4 against Top 25 teams, allowing an average of 8.5 runs in those four games. The Bulls are 0-2 on the road heading into today’s game.

The Cincinnati Bearcats will (6-8) make their Big East debut. They are 6-4 in their last 10 games, all against mid-major conference teams. The last time Cincinnati faced a major conference opponent, it was swept by the Miami Hurricanes in a three-game series to open the season.