Bulls earn Big East honors

USF softball teammates senior Courtney Mosch and junior Britta Giddens were named to the Big East Honor Roll for the 2008 season.

Pitcher Mosch and shortstop Giddens led the Bulls to wins against Mississippi, Florida A&M and No. 5 Tennessee in the USF Big East Tournament.

Tennessee came into the tournament 5-0, outscoring its opponents 34-3. In the Bulls’ win against Tennessee, Mosch held the Volunteers to only one run.

Giddens led the tournament, batting a team-high of .500 and a .600 percentage on base.

The softball team will prepare for the 10-time Colonial Athletic Association champion Hofstra Pride in the USF Louisville Slugger Tournament on Friday in the USF softball stadium.

Heavy rain showers prevented the Bulls softball team from finishing the last game of the Best Western Tournament against the Hofstra Pride. Both teams finished the tournament 3-1.

Jones earns Rookie of the WeekThe Big East named freshman Dominique Jones Rookie of the Week. The Lake Wales native averaged 22.5 points, 4 rebounds, 3 assists and 1.5 steals in the games against Syracuse and Connecticut.

This is the third time Jones received this honor, tying the second-most rookie awards this season. Jones is the first freshman in team history – and the first in conference history since Allen Iverson in 1994 – to score 30 or more points in consecutive games.

Jones averages 16.1 points – second to Kentrell Gransberry, who is one of five players named to the conference weekly honor roll – and is the only player to start all 26 games for the Bulls.

The Bulls will go on the road to face the Cincinnati Bearcats on Wednesday.