St. Pete chancellor withdraws from hunt for president of UL

USF St. Petersburg’s chancellor no longer wants to be considered for presidency of the University of Louisiana at Lafayette.

Chancellor Karen White, 56, who was one of five candidates who interviewed with a presidential search committee this week, notified the president of the University of Louisiana (UL) system that she was withdrawing her application in a letter Thursday.

“After careful deliberation, I determined that my current position more closely matches my professional priorities,” wrote White. “My administrative career has focused on the urban and metropolitan university and I believe my knowledge and skill set are best applied in that mission.”

White, who originally trained as a classical violinist but later became a University administrator, has served as chancellor of USF St. Petersburg, which has about 5,000 students, since President Judy Genshaft appointed her in 2003.

UL Lafayette, with an enrollment of around 16,000, is the largest of eight schools in the University of Louisiana system.

During White’s tenure, USF St. Petersburg has received separate accreditation from the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS), giving the regional campus authority to grant tenure and promotions, handle registration and approve changes to courses and curriculum.