Orange blanks Bulls

Rain pounded the pitch at Syracuse on Saturday where the men’s soccer team lost 1-0 in their last road match of the season.

Despite outshooting the Orange 10-5, the Bulls were unable to get one past Syracuse goalkeeper Robert Cavicchia. It was the second time this season the Bulls have been shut out.

“We were unlucky in getting a goal tonight,” coach George Kiefer said. “But I was happy in the way we managed a very slick field. We created some good chances on the difficult turf, and I felt we really pinned them in the whole second half.”

Freshman Bernardo Anor suffered the most frustration, as he led USF in shots with five, yet came away with nothing to show for it.

“Their keeper made a great save on a shot by Bernardo,” Kiefer said. “We were just unlucky.”

The only goal of the game was scored in the fifth minute by Syracuse sophomore Hansen Woodruff. After taking the ball on an unassisted breakaway, Hansen put a shot over the head of freshman Jeff Attinella, who was making his first start as goalkeeper for USF this season.

Starting goalkeeper Diego Restrepo missed the game because of a minor injury but is expected to play in USF’s next contest.

For the Bulls, the loss means that their chances of winning the Red Division are likely over. They trail division leader DePaul by two points and sit in fourth place.

First and second place finishers in the division get a first-round bye for the Big East championship. That’s something the Bulls will see slip away if they can’t beat second place St. John’s on Saturday.

The Bulls have already clinched a Big East Tournament berth.