Volleyball sweeps Georgetown

After a 3-0 sweep of conference rival Georgetown on Saturday, the USF volleyball team moved into a tie for fifth in the Big East, along with Notre Dame and Marquette.

The squad rebounded from its recent loss against Florida Gulf Coast by traveling to Washington, D.C. and defeating a reeling Hoya team, which has now lost three straight games and is tied with Rutgers for last place in the conference.

The Bulls (13-6) came out and dominated from the start, winning the matches by a combined 27 points. The Bulls owned the top score in every statistical category.

USF defense proved strong, holding the Hoyas (5-19) to a season-low .059 hitting percentage. The team also netted 40 kills and held the Hoyas to only 25.

Leading the way on the Bulls offense, Kristina Fabris had 11 kills and Alli Arbogast led all percentages with a .600 hitting percentage. Marcela Gurgel led all teams with 12 digs and added six more aces to her Big East leading tally of 47.

One reason that the Bulls have been so successful on the season is their breadth off the bench. The team has a variety of talented players, all providing different strengths to the team. The Bulls played 13 players on Saturday while the Hoyas played only seven.

The Bulls hope to stay on the winning path when they take on North Florida University on Tuesday at 7 p.m. in their annual “Dig for the Cure” match.