Women’s soccer wins 100th game

The USF women’s soccer team played 180 minutes of shutout soccer this weekend.

On Friday, the Bulls and the Georgetown Hoyas played 70 minutes before lightning stopped the game with 20:01 remaining, and the score tied 0-0.

USF and Villanova played to a double overtime draw Sunday, leaving the program one win shy of its 100th victory.

USF played through rainy, windy conditions – and an aggressive Georgetown defense – before the game was stopped. The game was decided at 20:01 into the contest. Had the clock slipped to less than 20 minutes, the game would have ended in a draw. Instead, the game was ruled a no contest. Head coach Denise Schilte-Brown felt the result was bittersweet.

“I wish that we would have put our chances away in the first half,” Schilte-Brown said. “I feel like we should have taken advantage of our corner kicks, since we are playing at home. Under the circumstances, I do feel that this was the best result for us.”

The result was as good as the Bulls could have hoped for. Since the Georgetown match was ruled a no contest, the Hoyas have to travel back to South Florida at the end of the season.

On Sunday, the Bulls played a very physical game against Villanova. The Bulls and Wildcats battled for 110 minutes, with neither team scoring a goal. After two overtimes, the game resulted in a 0-0 tie.

“You can never be satisfied with a tie,” Schilte-Brown said. “I think the girls played well, but you always want to get a win for your fans at home.”

Junior forward Lindsay Brauer shared her coach’s sentiment.

“We’re never happy with a tie,” Brauer said. “Even though we played against a very talented team, this would have been better if it was a win.”

The Bulls came out aggressively against the Wildcats, taking a season-high 21 shot attempts – eight of which were on goal. Brauer led USF with four shots on goal.

As the contest went on, both teams became more physical. The teams totaled 36 combined fouls, with USF being called for 20. The physicality shown by the Wildcats came as a surprise to Schilte-Brown.

“On tape, they didn’t seem like a hard team,” Schilte-Brown said. “They looked well organized and dangerous off set pieces, but they didn’t seem physical. I’m proud of the team for coming out and being physical. They stepped it up when they saw what they were up against.Brauer – who seemed to have to pick herself up off the ground every time she had the ball – thought it was just another game.

“We always expect a physical game in the Big East,” Brauer said. “It was nothing we weren’t used to.”

Several USF players went down with injuries. Schilte-Brown doesn’t feel that the injuries are serious.

“I think that most of the girls will be able to go by next week,” Schilte-Brown said. “I was really proud with the girls that got bumps and bruises today. A lot of the girls played through their injuries, and they played well.”

USF had several opportunities to score, including an opportunity with fewer than 10 seconds left. Brauer had her shot attempt stopped by Villanova goalkeeper Jillian Loyden.

The Wildcats had consecutive shots bounce off of the net, with one hitting the top cross bar and the other bouncing off of the right post, which were the Wildcats’ best scoring chances of the overtime periods.

The Bulls, who enjoyed playing in front of their home fans, were also playing for Catch 47, known for showing Bay area sports.

“I’m really happy that (Catch 47) was out here, but we didn’t focus on it,” Schilte-Brown said. “I do feel that the girls earned and deserved the exposure that they got today.”