Five days later: win still in the news

It’s been an entire workweek since the Bulls knocked off No. 17 Auburn at Jordan-Hare stadium.

But the national attention USF has received since its snub in both major polls has yet to die down.

Listed below are a few of the statements written about the Bulls since Saturday.

Pete Themel, New York Times: “The Bulls have a future all-American at quarterback in Matt Grothe and a defense with N.F.L.-caliber talent at secondary and linebacker.”

Jake Curtis, San Francisco Chronicle: “Maybe South Florida needs to hire some Madison Avenue guys to dress up its football image, because winning games does not seem to be enough.”

Mel Kieper Jr., ESPN.com: “The CB tandem of Mike

Jenkins, who debuted on my top 25 this weekend and Trae Williams is the other corner. That’s the best CB tandem in college football.”

Stewart Mandel, CNNSI.com: A public service to my fellow voters: The school is called South Florida (or USF). Its nickname is the Bulls. They play in a BCS conference. And over their past four games they’ve beaten both West Virginia and Auburn on the road. You might want to think about putting them on your ballot.”

Injury not serious

Senior nose tackle Richard Clebert was carted off the field following practice Tuesday but coach Jim Leavitt indicated the injury wasn’t a concern. Clebert is expected to be available for the Bulls’ next contest against North Carolina on Sept. 22.