Join the herd at Roundup

Remember when you could not walk 10 feet without hearing some twit yelling, “I’m Rick James, b—-!”?

Fans of The Chappelle Show’s “True Hollywood Stories” and Saturday Night Live can head to the Sun Dome Thursday night for RoundUp. Fans of cheerleaders and free swag ought to be in attendance as well, as the event will not disappoint.

It will be the biggest event during Welcome Week, and an impressive lineup of free food, entertainment and prize giveaways has been planned. Don’t let your deadbeat classmates freeload on your Activity and Service fees, come and get what’s yours! The event will be free for USF students, and anyone else can purchase tickets at the door for $10.

Kicking off the event is the student organization fair from 7 p.m. to 8 p.m. Students interested in getting involved on campus can meet with representatives from more than 100 organizations. Local punk band Amberly Drive will be playing outside of Entry 1, courtesy of Student Government.

Inside the entryway, Student Government will be committing more acts of selfless generosity. They will be giving away nachos, hot dogs and soda while supplies last, which may not be long given college students’ appetites for processed cheese and anonymous, tubular meat.

If you’re interested in getting free stuff for doing nothing, there will be a raffle. Among the giveaways will be a free semester of rent on-campus, a one-year parking permit, a $150 textbook gift card, a signed USF football jersey and a spirit basket. Students can sign up for the raffle at RoundUp or beforehand at the Unity Soiree, to be held from noon to 4 p.m. today on Castor Beach. Signup will also be available at Movies on the Lawn tonight at 9 p.m. beside MLK Plaza and at Campus Recreation tonight from 9 p.m. to 2 a.m. You must be present at RoundUp to receive your prize.

Once you’re in the door, the thrills keep coming. RoundUp will feature presentations and appearances from Rocky the Bull, the USF cheerleaders and the Sun Dolls. Scheduled to speak are President Judy Genshaft, Vice President of Student Affairs Jennifer Meningall, Provost Renu Khator, Director of Athletics Doug Woolard, student body President Barclay Harless and Vice President Garin Flowers.

Headlining the evening are stand-up comedic performances by Charlie Murphy and Saturday Night Live’s Seth Meyers. Videos of Murphy and Meyers can be found on YouTube. Among the best clips are Meyers’ SNL Weekend Updates and Murphy in Boondocks episode 105.

Free food, famous comedians, cheerleaders and valuable prizes are all well and good, but assistant director of student programs Cindy Greenwood said the true purpose of RoundUp is to instill a sense of community and school spirit through programs.

“(RoundUp) is for students to understand what it is to be a USF Bull,” she said.