SG backs bronze bulls and burritos

This summer, senate members spent some time talking tacos after Marshall Center administrators had a crunchy decision to chew over.

On July 10, the results of an online survey showed that a majority of student voters favored Moe’s over Taco Bell. Two weeks later, the Senate put its final stamp of approval on which of the franchises it would like to see set up shop in the new Marshall Student Center.

One by one, after an exchange of opinions, senators voted for their favorite of the two. With twenty-four senators attending the senate meeting on July 24, Moe’s won a majority of the votes when one senator abstained from voting.

Joseph Synovec, director of Marshall Center Administration, has taken this as far as he can. Synovec generated discussion about the two franchises when he asked the Senate to do an informal count of which one was best for the new Marshall Student Center.

Now it’s up to Aramark, the company in charge of USF Dining Services, to get Moe’s on board. Synovec said they haven’t heard back from Aramark yet, but hears there may be some problems in the negotiations with Moe’s corporate headquarters.

Although Taco Bell did not get a winning number of votes, nearly half of the Senate voted “yes” for it.

“Getting a Taco Bell on campus is the reason I joined Senate,” said Senator David Parrino. “I feel that the franchise provides inexpensive food with an easy to manage level of quality control,” he said.

Still, more senators gave the go-ahead to the franchise that gives its tacos quirky names such as, “The Ugly Naked Guy,” and “The Full Monty.”

Students like Gina Bastone, an Art History major at USF, are excited to hear news of a Moe’s coming to campus.

“I think it’s a great idea as long as it’s not extremely over priced,” she said.

Stampede of Bulls threatens to rattle MLK Plaza

A new layout for an improved MLK plaza was pitched at a senate meeting this summer on July 24. The enhanced plan features a herd of bronze bulls charging through a cascade of water.

The current funded plan embodies sidewalks, grass and some minor landscape, all costing between $50,000 and $60,000. To the Senate’s dismay, the enhanced plan for MLK Plaza will need $800,000 to $1 million more to be pulled off.

In order to fund the new and improved MLK plaza, the Senate would have to agree to take money out of the reserves. Sasaki and Gould Evans, the architecture firms responsible for the blueprint, presented a fly-through video as well as slides that gave senators an idea of what the enhanced plaza would look like.

The new design will also feature more seating areas, a program area with a bandstand, colorful flowers and shady oak trees. One aspect of the new MLK plaza that is set in concrete is the extension of the promenade of palm trees that already stands outside of the current Marshall Center.

At the end of the senate meeting, an ad-hoc committee was formed to determine whether it would be feasible to make the upgrade. Joseph Synovec, director of Marshall Center administration, said he expects to hear back from the committee near mid-September.

Synovec said the herd of bronze bulls would serve as a signature photographic opportunity for USF students and visitors alike. Although a burly bronze sculpture of the USF mascot exists inside the Athletic building, it goes undiscovered by most.

Guy Conway, Associate Vice President of Student Affairs, said funding this project would make school history and the addition of the fountain of bulls is something students asked for.

“This is an opportunity to leave your mark on the university,” he said.