SG Senate looks at $9.3 million in A&S budget

The Student Government senate got its first look at the Activity & Service Recommendation Committee’s proposed $9.3 million budget for next year Tuesday night.

A&S monies come from a per-credit-hour fee paid by students as part of their tuition and a $7.00 flat fee paid by students each semester. Last fall, A&S fees were increased 19 cents by SG leaders, administration members and ultimately the Board of Trustees from $7.89 per credit hour to $8.08.

The budget was on first reading Tuesday night and its final approval is expected on April 18.

The budget calls for $5.9 million to go to Student Affairs, $2.3 million to go to SG, $41,240 to go to College Councils, $385,108 to go to student organizations and $659,793 to be kept in the unallocated reserves.

The budget divides $385,108 between 123 student organizations, putting the average allocation at $3,130.

Last year, student organizations received a total of $334,479.

The Society of Automotive Engineers had the highest allocation with $34,276; they requested $95,491.

Six other clubs were allocated more than $10,000 – the IceBulls Hockey Club ($31,100), the Crew Club ($30,164), the Caribbean Cultural Exchange ($17,406), Students of India ($17,031), the Black Student Union ($12,300) and Club Creole ($10,345).

The Reflections Modeling Troupe received the lowest allocation of any club with $196. It originally requested $45,240.

Most of the money, $5.9 million, is slated for SA and would go towards large-scale things like Campus Recreation, the Phyllis P. Marshall Center and Campus Activities Board. Last year SA received $5.2 million.

Campus Recreation’s budget stands to increase to $1,333,978 from last year’s $1,192,825.

Campus Rec requested $300,000 to resurface the Andros Pool, but it was denied. The bottom of the pool has been chipping and peeling for some time, and Campus Rec Director Eric Hunter told the Oracle in the fall that the Hillsborough County Health Inspector threatened to close the pool on more than one occasion. Last year, Campus Rec was denied $200,000 for the same thing by SG.

The budget has the Marshall Center getting $3,416,257, up from the $2,944,829 it got last year.

Operating expenses, travel and payroll are the parts of the Marshall Center budget showing sizable increases over last year.

CAB is expected to get $464,809. It received $417,799 last year.

CAB puts on events around campus throughout the year, such as concerts, comedy shows and Movies on the Lawn.

The budget has many SG-operated organizations receiving funding increases with notable increases for WBUL and the SG senate.

WBUL’s budget is $124,527, up from last year’s $101,788. The SG senate’s budget is $60,165, which is up from $45,643.

SAFE Team, however, will be seeing a decline. It had $285,670 to work with last year and will be getting $272,089 this year.

Interim funds and the Critical Reserve remain the same as last year, $265,000 and $106,000 respectively.

Interim funds are used to fund projects and ideas that come about throughout the year. It also covers the budget of the executive branch, which the incoming student body president and vice president have yet to make.

Critical Reserve is for emergencies, like repairing the Marshall Center after a fire or serious hurricane damages.

The $41,239 allocated for College Councils is down from last year’s $47,091.

The Graduate and Professional Student Council received the most of any Council with $8,437. It received $9,344 last year.

The Arts and Science College Council got the lowest allocation of the Councils with $2,272. The Arts and Science Council did not receive funding in last year’s original ASRC budget as a result of paperwork trouble.

The College of Nursing Council and the College of Architecture Council both received funding in last year’s ASRC budget, but are not in this year’s.

ASRC is made up of a total of seven senators, one representative from the executive branch and two representatives of the SG Business Office who are not students.