USF Louisville Slugger Invitational

USF Louisville Slugger Invitational

Who: USF (7-4), Siena (0-0), Indiana (0-1-1), Kent State (0-3).

When: Today-Sunday

Where: USF Softball Field

The story: The USF softball team will look to add to its five-game winning streak this weekend during the USF Louisville Slugger Invitational. The tournament is the third of the season for the Bulls and will feature games against Siena College, Indiana University and Kent State University.

The Bulls will face Siena on Friday in a match that marks the season opener for the Saints. Siena posted a 22-27 record in 2005 and is returning some of its most prolific offensive players.

One of the Saints’ returning stars is senior third baseman Sarah Rose, who led the team in batting averages (.407) and hits (59) last season and tied for the lead in home runs with seven.

The second team facing the Bulls on Friday is Indiana. The Hoosiers have started this season 0-1-1 and will be looking for their first win.

On Saturday, the Bulls match up against Kent State. The Golden Flashes are winless so far in 2006 with a 0-3 record and are also looking to get into the winning column this weekend.

The tournament championship will be held on Sunday with the participants still to be determined.

Keep an eye on: sophomore Bree Spence. The Bulls’ pitcher is undefeated so far this season, with a record of 3-0. Spence is also posting an ERA of 0.98 and has 22 strikeouts.

– Eric Moeller