Murder near Magnolia

A 57-year-old man was fatally shot in a parking lot next to Magnolia Apartments on campus late Thursday night.

The victim was identified as Ronald Stem by the Tampa Police Department, which is cooperating with University Police on the investigation.

At 11:44 p.m., UP responded to a 911 call reporting shots fired and found Stem in Parking Lot 24. He was pronounced dead on arrival from an apparent gunshot wound to the upper body.

According to police, three black males fled the scene in either a white vehicle or a black SUV.

Two of the suspects were said to be wearing dark clothing and one was said to be wearing light clothing.

As part of its continuing investigation, UP has been showing residents of Magnolia black-and-white still pictures from a surveillance camera in Lot 47 that show the suspects.

UP spokesman Sgt. Michael Klingebiel said in a statement that motives, evidence and other information specific to the investigation will not be commented on.

Stem was a former USF student, Residence Services staff member, WBUL DJ and previously lived in Magnolia Apartments. According to USF Media Relations, he has had no official relationship with the school since 2004.

According to UP, Stem frequented Magnolia Apartments to visit friends.

Klingebiel said at the scene of the crime that both UP and TPD would be stepping up patrols in the area to ensure students feel safe on campus.

“We’re trying to increase the police presence in this area,” Klingebiel said.

The scene was cleared of crime tape, and the parking lot was opened back up to the public at approximately 4:00 a.m.

Stem lived in Magnolia Apartments from summer 2003 through summer 2004. He worked as a part-time student assistant from May 2004 to August 2004.

Student Affairs has recommended students walk in groups, keep friends informed of their schedules and whereabouts, and remember to lock doors of residence halls, apartments and vehicles. USF has two offices open and is ready to counsel students with concerns.

Original version first published online Friday, Feb. 10, 2006 at USForacle.com