Smiling Karaoke Eyes

The Masquerade
1503 East 7th Avenue, Ybor City

Weekend karaoke at The Masquerade is convenient for several reasons: One, it’s 18 and up and not 21; two, the location is in the middle of Tampa’s nightlife, so night owls can bail on the singing when it’s their turn to make a fool out of themselves and easily find something else to do; the selection is better, so if Barry Manilow’s greatest hits don’t cut it for you, then maybe “Anarchy in the UK” will light your fire.

The Masquerade is an Ybor legend. It used to be the main place to be on Thursdays, with $5 all-you-can-drink and 80s dance favorites.

Since then, the cover went up, the Salt-N-Pepa hits got old and The Castle started playing good music on Thursdays.

The Masquerade still offers quality entertainment with the occasional good band (Enon this Friday) and drunken dodge ball held every Wednesday.

On top of the karaoke is another bar featuring alternative DJs and a main room that’s well-planned for big events. — Harold Valentine

The Green Parrot Pub
11759 North Dale Mabry Hwy.

If you want to avoid the big bar crowds, The Green Parrot Pub offers a low-key karaoke alternative. Nestled in the heart of Carrollwood, The Parrot offers karaoke on Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights. Of course no true vocal stylings can be unleashed on an empty stomach.

The Parrot has a food menu featuring a variety of fried foods and sandwiches.

Those who need a little liquid courage to belt out those high notes can choose from domestic and imported beers and wine. For the tone-deaf folks, The Green Parrot Pub also has pool tables and dartboards.

When you need a time-out from the Spring Break sun, head over to the local pub and enjoy food, friends and the shared embarrassment of a drunken stranger’s soulful songs. — Lori Bartlett