Spring styles to show off

Get ready for that sticky, hot weather that Floridians have come to love — it’s time to show off that new tan you’ve secretly been working on all winter.

Put away the sweaters, long-sleeved shirts and UGG boots. Spring is finally here, and there is a slew of new fashions in stores.

For gentlemen, “the Caddyshack look of the ’80s is back,” says Tim Boyson, retail manager at Men’s Express. This look can be completed with plaid shorts and flip-flops.

Pastel colors are still all the rage, with pink leading the pack. Guys all over campus are pairing jeans or khakis with a pink polo with the collar flipped up. Sport this with your favorite flip-flops and a shell necklace and you are ready to go.

While the pastel colors are still fashionable, they have taken on a new twist. These shirts now have featured designs such as horizontal or vertical stripes.

For guys and girls alike, vintage T-shirts are still a must-have. These well-worn items can be found in all stores at the mall. For a cheaper alternative, try your local thrift store.

Torn or ripped jeans accessorized with sashes around the waist are a must-have item this spring for girls. For a twist on sashes, try wearing a pastel-colored tie around the waist. You can also find this item at a thrift store.

White is back, if it ever even left in the first place. Perhaps the most popular color this spring, and the most versatile, white is a great way to show off a deep tan. The most popular items in this color are blazers, shorts and sailor pants. Pair these items with brightly colored jewelry and you are ready for a night on the town or the beach.

If the weather happens to drop, a blue jean jacket is a great way to keep warm and look fashionable. We are not talking about the acid-washed jackets with funky pins all over but the torn and tattered ones that are gracing the covers of Abercrombie and Fitch catalogues.

Skirts and shorts are an easy way to stay cool in the humid weather and still look like a style guru. Again, jean shorts and skirts that are cut off on the bottoms are a popular item.

While flip-flops are still the most popular type of shoe, there are new twists. Flat sandals are all the rage. This variation of flip-flop comes in a variety of styles and designs, from ones that tie around the ankle to bright green-and-orange patterns. Another shoe that accessorizes well with pants and skirts alike are platform sandals. These are not like the platform shoes of the ’70s, but usually have a cork or wooden heel and tie around the ankle with a colored sash. Pair these shoes with a matching bag with a wooden handle and you are ready to rake in the compliments.

This season’s theme seems to consist of bright and funky colors and patterns. This is a great way to show off individuality because these patterns and colors go well with almost anything in your wardrobe. Spring is a time to take the layers off and show a little bit of skin. These fashions are a great way to show off your sense of style, all while having fun with these hip and funky patterns.