Moffitt doctors air in TV education series

If you didn’t catch the faces of USF faculty on the Education Channel (Ch. 18) last semester, you are not out of luck. H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center doctors can be seen in the re-broadcast of Taking Control of Cancer, a 12-week interview series produced by the center and the Education Channel. The interviews air every Sunday, Wednesday and Thursday at 4 p.m.

“There was so much interesting research going on at Moffitt and we have more than enough people to do a 12-part series,” said Andrea Brunais, media-relations coordinator for Moffitt. “We wanted a way to share it with the people.”

Experts interviewed for the series discussed a broad range of topics, from the prevention and screening of cancer to treatment methods. Most experts are caretakers at the institute and all are USF faculty.

Topics covered by the series may hit close to home for some students. Smokers wishing to quit can find help in an episode focused on medicinal and psychological techniques designed to permanently break the addiction. People concerned about their inherent risk of cancer may be interested in learning about the effect genes have on contracting the disease.

As medical director of the Lifetime Cancer Screening and Prevention Center, Johnathan Lancaster describes some of the recent changes happening within the Center during the series.

“We focus on defined high-risk population,” Lancaster said.

When patients come to the Center, they are screened for information on their family’s medical history so risk factors can be assessed. Not only does LCSPC help ensure patients find the correct clinic, it produces valuable data and research. The information is used to improve early detection of cancer and is the reason it is important the public knows of this resource, Lancaster said.

“The most important component of what we do is research,” Lancaster said. “We carry out research to improve the detection program.”

For more information on this and other Education Channel programs, visit www.educationchannel.org.

For more information on the H. Lee Moffitt Cancer & Research Institute, visit www.moffittcancercenter.org .