Letters to the Editor

Israelis, Palestinians, U.S. bear responsibilties

Since the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks on the United States, President George W. Bush has promised to do everything to protect Americans and win the war on terror. But by supporting Israel with such passion, Bush is actually fueling the flames of hatred against us from the Muslim and Arab countries. Israel has committed countless numbers of human rights violations and acts of terror that have been covered up by the U.S. media.

Last year, Rachel Corrie, an American peace activist, was crushed and killed by an Israeli bulldozer made by Caterpillar, an American company, despite her colleagues’ screaming at the driver to stop. A few months ago, 27 senior Israeli Air Force pilots refused to fly missions because they said their leaders told them to target innocent civilians. The senior most Israeli Army General resigned from his position last week because of the illegal and inhumane occupation in Palestinian territories.

And now, an Israeli, not Arab or Muslim, human rights group, B’Tselem, claimed that Israel’s house demolitions is a clear violation of human rights, and the organization estimates that, on average, 12 innocent Palestinians are made homeless every time a suspected militant’s home is destroyed. The report also said 47 percent of the demolished houses had never been home to militants involved in attacks on Israelis.

Why does the United States still support Israel with more than $6 billion every year? The United States has spent more money on supporting Israel than on any other country or project in the past four decades.

There have also been human rights violations on the Palestinian side against Israelis; however, we always hear about them. Why doesn’t CNN ever say “Israeli terror?” Militant “Israelis?” Why don’t we hear about the hundreds of innocent Palestinian children shot at by the Israeli army? Why don’t we hear about Barouch Goldstein, who walked into the most sacred mosque in Jerusalem and murdered 28 Palestinian worshippers during a Friday prayer?

Bush must reform his Middle East policy in order to gain respect and alliances from the Arab and Muslim nations. U.S. news stations also need to be more fair and balanced in their Middle East news coverage. Then maybe the Muslims and Arabs can view us as true liberators and allies. Until then, we are the enemy, and it’s clear why we are seen that way.

Hamzah Mubarak is a junior majoring in international studies.