Soccer player gets arrested at Ray Jay

One of the USF women’s soccer team’s most dominant offensive players was arrested and shocked with a Taser gun Saturday outside of Raymond James Stadium after she became violent with police officers.

Starting midfielder Erica Lewis, 20, was taken into custody around a half-hour prior to USF’s football game versus Army Oct. 16 and charged with resisting arrest with violence.

The incident occurred when Lewis’ brother, Garry, 18, tried to enter Gate B without a ticket, the report stated. Garry struck a Hillsborough County police officer on the right cheek with his hand when the officer attempted to escort him off stadium grounds, the report stated.

When witnesses and other officers were forced to physically restrain Garry, Erica became irate and began to interfere, the report stated. Erica was verbally warned to remain calm but refused, and officers attempted to arrest her but she started to struggle and flail her arms, the report stated. One officer then disengaged and tried a second time for verbal compliance but Erica refused to obey. She began to physically resist, which was when the officer used a Taser to get control of her, according to the police report.

Women’s soccer coach Logan Fleck did not return phone calls Thursday.Erica did not play Sunday in a 2-0 home loss against Saint Louis, which snapped the Bulls’ three-game winning streak.

Erica transferred to USF this season from FSU. She is originally from Winter Park.

A starting midfielder, Erica is tied for the team lead in goals (3) points (8) and assists (2). The junior scored the winning goal versus Jacksonville on Sept. 3 and had a game-tying goal against FAU on Sept. 18.