Congressman Meek makes USF stop

U.S. Congressman Kendrick Meek will visit USF today to participate in an early voting rally organized by the university’s College Democrats.

Meek, who was at USF last month when John Kerry visited the campus, will join former student body President Omar Khan in an attempt to recruit students to participate in the state’s early voting procedure, beginning at 10 a.m. Meek will leave campus around noon.

The rally will begin at Crescent Hill at 11 a.m., where there will be food and live music for students. At least twice, once at noon and again at 4 p.m., buses will leave the campus to take students to voting centers. John Duddy, president of the College Democrats, said a third bus might leave during the day when Meek departs.

Duddy also said other student organizations will be involved, possibly providing more opportunities for students to vote early.

NADER MAKES USF RETURN IN ST. PETE

Reform Party presidential nominee Ralph Nader will visit USF St. Petersburg today at 5:30 p.m. for a campaign speech and book signing. Nader last visited USF when he came to the Tampa campus in April 2002. The event is free and open to the public.

FORMER SURGEONGENERAL VISITS USF

Antonia Novello, the first woman and first Hispanic to be named U.S. surgeon general, will be at USF’s College of Public Health at 2 this afternoon for a speech titled “Challenges of Public Health in the 21st Century: A Call to Action.” Novello, now the New York state health commissioner, was appointed surgeon general in 1990 by former President George Bush. She resigned in 1993 to accept a position with the United Nations.

Compiled by Adam Becker